Comments from Flix70

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Regal Arroyo Grande Stadium 10 on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I drove by this theater last week – it’s still called the Festival Cinemas. No mention of Regal anywhere on the building. There’s definitely an ‘80s vibe to the place.

Flix70 commented about Laguna Hills Mall Cinemas on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Actually caught “Gone Girl” here a couple of weeks back, my first visit in over 20 years. Still a very nice theater with plenty of leg room. I visited on a Thursday and the matinee ticket was only $4. The cashier said “it’s a special price today.” Works for me.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 1, 2014 at 5:35 pm

What’s the issue with the projectionist?

Flix70 commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Oct 1, 2014 at 5:31 pm

A 50 percent reduction in seating with both sloped and stadium seating, not to mention IMAX? My beloved Big Newport is truly dead.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 1, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar” will screen in 70mm at the Dome starting Tue., Nov. 4. Tickets on sale now.

Flix70 commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Sep 5, 2014 at 10:14 pm

You sure about that stat, RobertAlex? Regal signed a deal with Sony back in 2009 to equip all of its theaters with 4K projection over the next 3-5 years. It’s pretty mind-boggling to think they haven’t updated their premier auditorium in OC by now, especially since they promote 4K projection on most of their smaller screens before the start of each movie.

Flix70 commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on Sep 4, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hey, Regal, if your listening: It would have been nice to see the Ghostbusters re-release on the big screen this week. The Cinerama Dome in Hollywood had it.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Anybody catch Ghostbusters in the Dome over the weekend?

Flix70 commented about Curtain Call Dinner Theater on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I can remember seeing both King Kong (1976) and Future World here as a kid.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Nov 14, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Anybody catch “JFK” in the Dome this past Tuesday night? If so, do tell.

Flix70 commented about Cinedome Theatres on May 24, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Good stories, Imissoldanaheim. I hear you, going to the movies just isn’t the same as when we were kids. The Cinedome, Big Newport, South Coast Plaza, they were palaces that made the great flicks even better. At least we have our memories.

Flix70 commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on May 20, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Avoided the Big Newport this weekend and caught the 10AM Star Trek Into Darkness at the AMC Tustin. Very nice presentation; especially in 3D. For fun, checked the showtimes for Trek at the Big Newport. First show wasn’t until 1:15 PM. Why such a late start for a major release on opening weekend? So they could show Pain and Gain at 10:30 AM, silly.

Seriously? A four-week-old film gets the first big-screen showing on a Saturday? Unless Regal was hosting a screening for fitness professionals that morning, that film has absolutely no business on the big screen after four weeks.

Both films have virtually the same running times so that shouldn’t have played into their thinking. I mean is it possible Regal actually thought Pain and Gain would do better on the big screen at that time over Star Trek opening weekend? If so, I’d really like to meet their focus groups.

With each passing week, Regal makes it easier to avoid the Big Newport all together. Kind of sad. I guess I’ll just have to remember the good times, when Edwards used to run things.

Flix70 commented about Edwards Big Newport 6 on May 6, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I’ve been a loyal patron of the Big Newport for over 30 years now. For my money, there just isn’t a better place to see an “event” film in OC than in the massive, velvet-draped main auditorium. That said, Regal really needs to stop tinkering with the showtimes for films on the big screen. I checked the paper for Iron Man 3 on Friday and the first showing was at 10 AM. Ok, so the wife and I get up early on Sat morning with the intent of catching the first show and while grabbing some breakfast out I by chance glance at the showtimes again and they’ve changed to 10:30 AM. The 10AM is now on one of the smaller screens. This is the second time in a year, that I know of, where the times for the big screen have changed within 24 hours. Sure, the times stay the same, but the screens sure don’t.

Regal needs to understand that the big screen is a bit of an institution in Orange County and that people actually do make the trek from all over the region to see a movie there. In the old days, you looked at the showtimes for the big screen on Friday and knew your movie would be playing at those times at least until the following Thursday. You didn’t have to check back daily to see if the times had changed.

Even Regal’s staff members weren’t sure what showtime was on the big screen this past Saturday morning. And the marquee hanging over the lobby doors wasn’t helping matters either: it listed the first show on the big screen at 10AM, not the 10:30 posted in Saturday’s paper.

I was hoping to catch Star Trek, Man of Steel and The Lone Ranger on the big screen this summer but I’m thinking the AMC in Tustin is looking like a better choice. At least there I don’t have to keep checking showtimes on a daily basis.

Flix70 commented about Cinedome Theatres on Apr 18, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Can’t say I remember a hotel by the Cinedome. There’s been a Motel 6 across the street since as long as I can remember, along with a Dennys.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Apr 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm

AFI Night at the Movies returns to Arclight April 24. Highlights include: Blade Runner, Pulp Fiction and The Thing. As usual one of the 13 films screens in the Dome: this year it’s In The Heat of the Night, introduced by Sidney Poitier.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Mar 23, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Looks like Arclight has added some additional one-shot retro screenings at the Dome: East of Eden (April 7), Moulin Rouge/Romeo & Juliet (April 14), Slendor in the Grass (April 23), The Untouchables (April 30) and Citizen Kane (May 1).

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Mar 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Nice to finally hear from somone who went to one of the retro screenings. Glad to hear “Aliens” was a hit, Cliffs. Here’s hoping Arclight will indeed see the merits of retro screenings in the Dome and keep them going year-round. Let us know your thoughts on any future retro screenings you attend. I’m still waiting to hear from anyone who caught “Days of Heaven” back in Feb.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:51 pm

So did anybody catch “Days of Heaven” last night at the Dome? Do tell.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:24 pm

The Dome will also host a Die Hard Marathon on Feb 13: All five films, including the premiere of A Good Day to Die Hard. First film starts at 11:15 AM. Price is $35. https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movie/die-hard-marathon?lid=1001

Flix70 commented about Edwards Bristol IV Cinema on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:28 pm

This wasn’t a bad little theater in its day. I remember frequenting the place quite often as a kid throughout the ‘70s and '80s (used to meet my grandparents for Sunday brunch at the nearby Barclay Inn) but for the life of me the only two flicks I can remember seeing there are Rocky III and Spaceballs. Maybe the original Rocky in 1976. I do recall going back in the early '90s for The Dark Half with Timothy Hutton.

Flix70 commented about Santa Maria Theatre on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I’m pretty sure this was the theater I saw Rocky IV on Thanksgiving night in 1985. My first and only visit as I was in from out of town for the holiday visiting family. I remember it being kind of small and intimate, not a venue with 1200 seats.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Also getting evening one-shot screenings at the Dome: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (March 3), Raging Bull (March 10), Aliens (March 13), Back to the Future (March 24) and Say Anything (March 27).

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Dec 31, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Terrence Malick’s “Days of Heaven” will get a one-shot screening at the Dome on…wait for it…Super Bowl Sunday (Feb 3, 2013). Are you kidding me? https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movie/arclight-presentsdays-of-heaven?promo=spotlightM1

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Nov 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I see the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica is screening a new 4K restored print of Lawrence of Arabia on Sun., Nov 25 for its 50th Anniversary. Why in the world is this not screening at the Dome? This is a landmark film that truly needs to been seen on the largest screen possible. Arclight’s actions, or lack there of, are beginning to mirror those of Lakers owner Jim Buss: consistent head-scratchers.

Flix70
Flix70 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas on Oct 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I like reserved seating. It just doesn’t guarantee you a seat, it guarantees your seat. I’m sure everyone has a favorite place to sit in a theater, especially at the Dome. Reserved seating guarantees my seat remains my seat.

I agree we’ve lost the pageantry of going to the movies. I do think, however, the Dome is the only theater in town offering some of that lost experience. Their curtain stays closed, we’re treated to classic film scores before the show and with the exception of trailers, there’s no on-screen advertising. For that, I’d pay a premium price every time.