Showing 1 - 25 of 84 comments
From the Historic New England website. “Opened in 1910, G. W. Kimball owned the theater and leased it to H. DeMotte Perry. The theater hosted vaudeville acts and movies. The theater was destroyed in a fire on January 19, 1920.”
At one time this theatre was known as Cine Tony.
An opening ad for the Noflaw theatre shows the opening date as November 27th.
The Crane theatre was located at 109 W. Fifth St. The building was destroyed by fire in 2016.
The screen was toppled by hurricane Carla in 1961. The drive-in was abandoned until 1968 when the property was purchased by the Fayette County Veterinary Clinic which is still located at 227 Svoboda Lane today.
A bomb damage report dated November 13th, 1940 states, “Bomb burst inside auditorium, Cinema closed.”
The Liberty Theatre was designed by the Sydney based architects, Guy Crick and Bruce Furse.
The Auditorium Theatre opened January 28th, 1918. Reopened as the State Theatre April 21st, 1930.
The sign does not appear on a 2017 Google map photo.
A 1916 article about the Majestic Theatre gives an address of 365 3rd Street.
This theatre was originally known as the Opera House which was built around 1909.
The address for the Palace theatre is 101 North 9th Street.
The address for the Roxy Theatre is 536 East Main Street.
Information from the National Register of Historic Places.
“The Majestic Theater was constructed circa 1912 at 510 D Street and added to the entertainment choices of Jefferson County residents. With the increasing popularity of motion pictures, theater owners began erecting architecturally significant buildings to offer an enchanting atmosphere to patrons. These
motion picture houses were usually located in the heart of the commercial district.
The 1926 Bonham Theater stands as a fine example of this new type of entertainment facility. Located at 519 E Street, the theater was constructed at a cost of $100,000. In 1929, the first talking picture was shown in the Bonham. Undoubtedly the owner of the Bonham had marketing of his business in mind when, in 1940, he hired Hanns Teichert of Chicago to remodel the interior of the theatre."
The Keyser Theatre reopened as the Indie on Main on June 3rd, 2017. From their webpage: “The Indie on Main offers open venue space and staging area for artists, performers, musicians, writers, speakers and other social arts activities”. The theatre will also show classic films and documentaries. The address given on their webpage is 15 North Main.
The Strand Theatre has reopened as a performing arts theatre. The address should be 12 North Saginaw Street.
Only the Bird Hall clock tower remains. The rest of the building was destroyed by a fire in the 1990’s.
Hello again Joe Vogel. The revised link to the 1973 photo works flawlessly. I appreciate your helping me with this theatre.
Hello Joe Vogel, thank you for the additional information that you have supplied. Additional research indicates that Johnson’s Opera House, Armory and Rib Lake Theatre would be earlier names prior to Gem Theatre. Lake Theatre should be the primary name that this theatre is listed as since that was its final name. The New Lake Theatre could have its own page since it was at another location.
Unfortunately your link to the 1973 photo returns a 404 error.
The phone number must have been changed. Box office number is 304-224-1518.
Plaza Theatre website,
The Plainfield Opera House was built around 1902. It is located at 107 South Main Street.
Opened around 1897 as the Harris Lyceum Theatre. The building was damaged by a fire in the 1950s and was later demolished.
The Strand Theatre was located on West High Street which appears to be West High Avenue on a current map.
The Capitol Theatre was located on South Mercer Street. The theatre was destroyed in a February 1932 fire. The building was demolished six years later.
The Reagan Drive-In was twinned in 1952. Parking spaces increased to 415 total.