Comments from Ripshin

Ripshin commented about Sunny Isles Twin on Aug 29, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Was the Aquamarine on the left, as you entered? I am fairly sure that “Chitty” was in that theater (or both?). I can actually remember two specific moments from that showing in ‘68…walking into the lobby, and the Intermission. Well, and the chairs.

Ripshin commented about Coral Gables Art Cinema on Aug 19, 2017 at 1:06 am

David, you seem to know the area. Odd question. I’m trying to find the location of a Coral Gables restaurant that would have existed around 83/84. I KNOW that it was west of Ponce, east of Le Jeune, north of Miracle Mile, and pretty sure south of Alhambra. I could have sworn that it faced east, but the streets aren’t structured that way, with facades.

I was a UM student living in the Gables, and I’d walk by it. Very trendy, with a big open wooden door. Maybe Cuban or jazz music. Very upscale. It seemed to be next to a parking lot. VINTAGE building – Spanish Colonial, perhaps – somewhat narrow. I even remember maybe a blue light at the entrance.

It may have been where that Gable Plaza monstrosity is now. But, The Bank of America, old theater spot kinda reminds me of it. I dunno.

It just made a huge impression on me. I SO much wanted to go inside every time.

Ripshin commented about Coral Theatre on Aug 19, 2017 at 12:21 am

Definitely saw “Jungle Book” here. Also, remember watching them tear it down in the 80s.

Ripshin
Ripshin commented about Actors' Playhouse at the Miracle Theater on Aug 19, 2017 at 12:17 am

I used to go to the children’s matinee on Saturdays, approximately 1970 – 73. Is there one site that would list the films each summer? I am trying to avoid combing through the Miami Herald files online (if they exist).

Ripshin commented about Paramount Theatre on Jul 24, 2017 at 8:14 pm

I was saying that I had the wrong theater, in regards to the “Empire” release. I realize that they are two different theaters.

Ripshin commented about AMC Classic Dyersburg 9 on Mar 1, 2017 at 6:44 am

That sadly looks like a cheap warehouse. The original must have been totally demolished. Granted, it was no beauty, either.

Ripshin commented about Riviera Theatre on Jan 14, 2016 at 4:32 am

Yes, the current Google Streetviews are dated May 2015, and show the women’s store in what was the lobby, as David mentioned above.

David, I was in the San Remo Apartments a few blocks behind the theater, from ‘83 – '85. Make sure that you read ALL of the comments – some are hidden.

Ripshin commented about Alamo Drive-In on Apr 9, 2015 at 5:10 pm

To my knowledge, the neighboring Seven Oaks Resort was never scheduled to be “restored.” It was in quite horrible condition, and would have been beyond saving. I loved the commercial Mid-Century architecture, though. Apartments now reside on the spot. Austin Highway is seeing a resurgence, with apartments and box stores popping up. A Target took over the old Terrell Plaza, which had been severely altered since its days as a Sears. When they tore down the old Plaza, they briefly exposed an old, early 60s HEB Grocery facade (hidden behind an early 80s make-over)– wonderful, with tiles. Of course, they then hacked it away, for a Ross’s…

Ripshin commented about Paramount Theatre on Apr 8, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Actually, it was most likely The Park where I saw “Empire.” They had the exclusive 70mm showing there, and I saw it on opening day, first morning show, with FIVE people!! (Guess not a huge “Star Wars” base in Memphis…)

Ripshin commented about Paramount Theatre on Apr 7, 2015 at 8:01 pm

How, starting in 1965, did a 79 week reserved-seat run work? How were seats reserved?

Ripshin commented about Aztec Theatre on Mar 4, 2015 at 4:46 pm

If you look at the current site, there is a photo of a large statue – more like an Aztec god, I think.

Ripshin commented about Aztec Theatre on Feb 7, 2015 at 9:43 am

The newspaper today, states that the company renting the theater, has bought it. Meaning more of the same performance/shows. Some acts are obscure. Apparently, it is doing well, or the renters wouldn’t have “gone for it.”

Ripshin commented about Aztec Theatre on Jan 4, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Alamo Drafthouse could make it one of their flagships.

Ripshin commented about Aztec Theatre on Oct 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Frankly, they need to turn this back into a film theater. With the increasing number of locals moving downtown, I think there would be an audience. Catering to the tourists just won’t work. There is already an IMAX downtown, although I think that this theater is equipped to show large films.

Ripshin commented about Frances Theatre on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:25 am

There was a theater at the NE corner of Main & Market – it was leveled at some point prior to 1974, when my family moved to Dyersburg. There is a one-story building there now, obviously not matching the surrounding structures.

Ripshin commented about Frances Theatre on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:19 am

To correct a person today, the rating system began in 1968. There were technically no “R-rated” films in the 50s.

Ripshin commented about Aztec Theatre on Sep 5, 2013 at 11:40 am

New lessor will attempt to turn it into a House of Blues-style venue.

Ripshin commented about Suniland Triple on Feb 16, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I have no memory of this theater when I was a kid. I just Google mapped it, and see a strip center. I wonder if the shell is part of any of the buildings?

Ripshin commented about Gables Triple on Feb 16, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Well, seeing that one of the opening films was “Jenny” with Marlo Thomas, I looked it up, and watched it on YouTube. Not terribly significant, but very much of its time period. It was produced by ABC, and “That Girl” was on the network at the time. Not a coincidence, I’m sure.

Ripshin commented about Gables Triple on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:23 pm

OK, I was off by several blocks. I would have sworn that Sears was next door, but I’m obviously wrong.

Ripshin commented about New Theatre on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:14 pm

OK, please explain. How long has this place actually been around? I’m sure that I saw films there in the early 80s.

Ripshin commented about Absinthe House Cinematheque on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Where is it in the above photograph?

Ripshin commented about Gables Theatre on Feb 16, 2013 at 11:52 am

Yes, I went to those three, often, during that time. However, I was a pretty observant kid, and I’m just surprised that I never noticed the building back then. I think that the old S&H Green Stamps store was just up the block, and we frequented that spot often. In the 80s, I lived a few blocks away, and it was definitely gone. I did watch them tear down the Coral – very sad.

Ripshin commented about Gables Theatre on Feb 16, 2013 at 11:25 am

OK, the postcard above, was photographed at Ponce & Minorca, looking south. It’s easy to check via Google Streetview. So, yes, the theater was gone by the time I returned to Miami in 1982. Diagonally across the street, is the Hotel St. Michel (don’t know what it was back in the 30s), where I shot a student film in the early 80s. I would have remembered the old Gables sitting there. Occupying the spot now, is Wachovia – formerly whatever. I guess that the building was constructed right after they tore down the theater in 1981? Strange thing is, that as a kid in Miami from ‘67 – '74, I never attended a movie there.

Ripshin commented about Paramount Theatre on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:13 pm

IMDb says January 1979, was the release date.