Comments from tony11

Showing 8 comments

tony11
tony11 commented about Tower Picture House on Sep 6, 2014 at 7:03 am

It’s good to know that something was saved nic. Did you by any chance take any photos while you were in there?

tony11
tony11 commented about Tower Picture House on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:52 am

The Tower was a great place! It had a very steep slope to the floor in the stalls and the whole of the side walls and screen were covered by gold curtains which went from floor to ceiling. The ceiling did have some wonderful plasterwork on it. It was kind of the city centre poor relation behind the ODEON and ABC which were just to the side of it and behind it, But it was great. They use to show the big films when the other 2 had done with them so I use to wait to see them there if they weren’t films that had stereo soundtracks. They also use to show double bills and kids clubs on weekends. Godzilla v some other man in a rubber suit. I went to the last show just to say that I did support it right upto the very end. I did get to have a sneak peek inside after it had closed and was very surprised to see that behind those curtains which had been removed was a very ornate auditorium with plaster figures down the side walls and marble pillars beside the screen.

tony11
tony11 commented about Plaza Cinema on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:40 am

In the time I was a cinema goer in Leeds the Plaza was always known as a sex cinema but I always wanted to know what it was like inside. Then they showed night of the livin dead. I was underage but determined to get in and get in I did. I went up to the box office and said one please the girl (who didn’t look any older than me)smiled and handed it over. First surprise! second one was waiting inside. What a lovely place it was much bigger than I thought, it had a balcony and was very warm and very comfy. what a waste of a beautiful cinema! It could have been so much more than it ever was.

tony11
tony11 commented about Malvern Picture Palace on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:25 am

never went to this cinema when it was open but always loved watching the neon pendulum which was under the clock. I did go and have a look round inside after it closed and was more a home for the pigeons. The seats were all still in place and the screen very sad to see it in such a state.

tony11
tony11 commented about ABC Leeds on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:03 am

I started going to the cinema on my own in 1976 after the Rex was closed. I was the grand old age of 12! I had up until then just always assumed that the Rex would always be there and never thought of going anywhere else. I was always torn between the ABC and the ODEON as to which was my favourite. The ABC always seemed to be run better, It seemed to be the friendliest. They did late night and through the night specials, screen 2 showed 3D films back in the late 70’s and the sound in screen 1 was awesome. My 2 big memories are Poltergeist when the hand came out of the screen and the sound went over your head to the back wall. I know it was only stereo but back then it was fantastic! but the best was Battlestar Galactica this was in sensurround! never seen it before but they had warnings up all over the place. We sat right on the front row and for the first 5-10 mins I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about, it was no different to any other film. Then they launched a fighter it was shot down the launch tube which was pretty noisy but as it came out the camera angle switched and it was just alongside this giant spaceships engines..it was amazing the whole place shook the curtains even rattled on their runners. I found out later from the manager on a tour he gave me that they had to have a structural survey before it could be installed.my saddest were in the latter years when it was getting run down and not maintained the beautiful golden curtains in screen 1 that were filthy and had big cob webs on them and the leaky roof. My last film was Armageddon I sat in the Pullmans for the first time and just looked around knowing that anytime it would be closed. I loved everything about the place the smell, the atmosphere it is a real shame that it has gone still miss it and still get memories come back of it when I see a film that I saw there.

tony11
tony11 commented about Rex Cinema on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:45 am

Thanks for that but i have already seen all of those photos. What i would like is photos of the inside or someones memorys of it.

tony11
tony11 commented about Rex Cinema on Jun 22, 2010 at 1:42 am

This was the first cinema i ever went to. My dad use to take me and my brother every year to see the new Disney! It was the cinema that got me really interested in cinemas, yet it is the cinema i know the least about! We just took it for granted that it would always be there. Even after it closed i use to ride down to it on my bike to see if it had reopened yet. I remember parking in the car park round the back and walking round to the front. We would go in get our tickets and some sweets or ice cream and then go upsrairs to the landing with the big glass windows right across the whole landing. Then we would go into the auditorium. This is where i go blank..I know it had a circle because we went upstairs and i think the curtains were Blue? I would really love to know more about this place because the night we passed it and i saw a huge digger sitting inbetween the 2 side walls and all the front was gone was the night that really hit home to me that it was gone and would never be comeing back. I swore to myself at the grand old age of 12 that i would make the most of the cinemas that were left. I went every week sometimes 2-3 times and i loved sitting there just looking round at the buildings but always thinking that one day this will be gone too…..and now they are!!! what a waste and a crying shame.

tony11
tony11 commented about ABC Leeds on May 6, 2010 at 4:48 am

The ABC was at the end of Vicar lane next to the A64 ring road.The last time i was down there they hadn’t built anything it was just empty waste ground!!! what a shame and a waste.I loved that place far too many good memories to mention.