New Majestic Arts and Conference Centre
160-62 N. Schuyler Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened as the Remington Theatre on May 15, 1912 it had a seating capacity of 1,200, located on orchestra, mezzannine box seats and two balconies. There was a dance floor on the second floor and a rooftop garden. It was decorated in a Louis XVI style. Five months after opening, the Remington Theatre burnt down on October 12, 1912.
It was re-built and re-opened on November 13, 1913, but soon closed. It re-opened in 1915 as the Majestic Theatre and continued as a major theatre theatre of the town for many years, finally closing in 1957.
The stage area was re-developed into a retail developement known as Majestic Mall. In 1970 the theatre re-opened as the Town Theatre and from December 1990 it was leased from Kerasotes Theatres by Classic Cinemas. Classic closed the Town Cinema in March 1991 to concentrate on their Paramount Theatre.
In June 2009, it was announced that the former Majestic Theatre would be restored as an arts and conference center. Adam Meyer of Meyer Construction, Tom Shamblin of Shamblin Insurance and Tim and Karen Schmidt of Majestic Enterprises and Lydia and Groucho’s coffee shop/deli, have saved, designed and are now in the midst of remodeling the theatre for new generations to come.
When completed by the end of 2009, the New Majestic Arts and Conference Center will consist of a stage, high tech sound for plays and concerts, power point and wi-fi system for business meetings. There will be a 20 foot screen, a balcony, seating for about 250 and a new marquee. The auditorium will be available for meetings, retreats, lectures, concerts, comics, plays, fundraisers and private parties. Opening is planned for late-2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater