135 E. Woodin Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
The Ruby Theater opened July 1, 1914 as a vaudeville and silent movie theater. Original seating in the Ruby was 225 on the first floor and 125 in the balcony. In 1930 the Ruby upgraded to “talking pictures”.
In 1947, a new “tube” Mirrophonic sound system was added, along with the Motiographic AA Projector. In 1974, the arch above the stage was widened by two feet, to adjust to the new cinema size. The aisles were also widened and lit.
In the 1980’s a thrust stage was added, and in 1989, the seats were reupholstered. In 1993, the owners purchased auditorium lights that had come from the Orpheum Theater in Portland, which was torn down in the 70’s. A new sound system replaced the 1947 “tube” system in April 1999.
The present owners, Jean Payne Vick and Larry Hibbard, purchased the Ruby Theater in April of 1989, when the community was at risk of losing its only movie theater. Except for a two-year closure from 1972 to 1974 the Ruby Theater has been continuously running as a movie theater since it opened in 1914.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater