Bardavon 1869 Opera House
35 Market Street,
9 people favorited this theater
Built in 1869, the Bardavon Opera House, as its name implies, was originally an opera house.
The massive 19th century house was overhauled for film when it was taken over by Paramount in 1923 — a remodeling still evident by its interior appearance.
In 1943, the Bardavon, and the office building in front of it, was purchased by the famed movie studio’s exhibition unit.
In 1947, the theater and its marquee were modernized, and later, the theater was managed by ABC. The Bardavon closed as a movie house in 1975.
About to be demolished to make way for a parking lot, the Dutchess County Arts Council and local residents formed the Concerned Citizens to Save the Bardavon and leased the old theater.
Soon, the Bardavon 1869 Opera House group was formed and a campaign to save the theater began.
The Bardavon was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 20, 1977 and returned to showing live productions.
Since 1980, more than $5 million dollars has been spent to restore the theater, and the theater has completed the Marquee and Facade projects entering into a new campaign which will bring about the restoration of the theater auditorium as well as other projects.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater