Pine Grove Theatre
213 S. Tulpehocken Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Hippodrome Theatre was constructed in 1910 by Gregory Achenbach, father of Harvena Achenbach Richter, wife of noted author Conrad Richter, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award. Vaudeville and other live productions were held on the stage in addition to movies being shown.
In 1935 the theatre was refurbished (probably to add sound) and the name was shortened to Hipp Theatre. It closed in the mid-1950’s. In October 1962, after a complete reconstruction (removal of the orchestra pit, balcony, and many exit doors) it reopened as the Pine Theater with “The Music Man”.
The theatre operated for seven days a week for a few years until going to weekends only. The upstairs was known as the Pine Terrace which hosted class reunions, wedding receptions, and banquests. Pine Terrace closed in the late-1970’s and the theatre began to deteriorate. It closed in 1999.
The Millers bought the theatre and completed refurbished it, removing some seats for handicapped access. Opening as Pine Grove Theatre in April 2001 with “Cast Away”, it began to host Pinegrove Historical Society programs, concerts, plays, and other live entertainment. It was closed in 2019.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater