4569 Lynwood Center Road,
4 people favorited this theater
The Historic Lynwood Theatre, entertaining audiences since 1936, was Bainbridge Island’s first “talkie” movie theatre. Now an art house, specializing in foreign films, documentaries, independent fare and classics, the Lynwood Theatre is one of few single screen theatres still in operation.
Edna and Emmanuel Olson, a hard-working couple who lived in the Tudor-style house on the hill overlooking Lynwood Theatre, built the structure across the street known as Lynwood Center. The 315-seat Lynwood Theatre opened on July 3, 1936 with the musical comedies “Times Square Playboy” and “She Couldn’t Take It”.
In the 1950’s the Olsons sold the business to nephew Glenn Nolta and his wife Lucille, who ran the theatre until 1980 when current owner Sam Granato bought the business.
1994 brought improvements to the old theatre – a new surround sound system and a bigger popcorn machine (the original Manley machine holds a place of honor in the lobby), for a start. A new concessions stand keeping the Art Deco style, an enlarged lobby, and brand new auditorium seats made the old Lynwood Theatre shine as proud as she was on July 3, 1936. In 1997 new projectors replaced the old Sears Motiographs which had provided solid reliability for 50 years, and the new screen now makes images cleaner and brighter than ever.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater