Rialto Theater

245 2nd Street,
Bremerton, WA 98337

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Rialto Theatre exterior and the nearby Rex Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Rialto Theater was opened February 6, 1918 with Mary Pickford in “Stella Maris” and Fatty Arbuckle in “Out West”. By 1941 it was operated by Fox Theatres. It was still in operation in 1950.

Contributed by Billy Holcomb / Don Lewis / Billy Smith

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on April 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm

From the 1930s a photo postcard of the Rialto and Rex Theaters in Bremerton.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 12, 2011 at 5:55 am

The March 16, 1918, issue of The Moving Picture World said that the new Rialto Theatre in Bremerton had opened on February 6. The house was operated by Eugene Oswald and Jack Rantz, who had been operating Bremerton’s Dream Theatre for several years. The new Rialto had been built at a cost of $50,000, and opened with two Paramount films: Mary Pickford in “Stella Maris” and Fatty Arbuckle in “Out West.”

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 20, 2017 at 3:35 am

The May 23, 1917, issue of Building & Engineering News had an item about this theater:

“BREMERTON, WASH. Theatre, 2 story and base. reinforced concrete $75,000. Architect Max Umbrecht, Arcade Bldg. Seattle. Owners Osran Amusement Co. Will cover an area of 60 by 105 feet. Plans are being prepared.”
The June 27 issue of the same journal noted that the contract for the project had been let.

Architect Maximilian B. Umbracht practiced in Seattle from 1900-1907 and again from 1912 to 1922, following which he returned to his home town of Syracuse, New York.

The Osran Amusement Company (Oswald and Rance) operated several theaters in Bremerton during this period. It eventually became a subsidiary of Evergreen State Amusement Corporation.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater