2715 Webster Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened in late-1916 as the U.S. Theatre, it was operated by US Amusement Co. and had 2,200 seats. The building occupied a whole block running from 194th Street to 195th Street. The entrance to the theatre was on Webster Avenue near 195th Street, and upon entering one walked from the lobby into the rear of the auditorium, the screen being located at the 194th Street end and the operating booth at the other end (195th Street). The first movie screened at the U.S. Theatre was the Thomas H. Ince million dollar spectacle “Civilisation”. By 1926 it was listed with 1,600 seats. By 1930 it was listed as the United States Theatre and had been equipped with a Western Electric sound system. It had 1,652 seats. By 1931 the seating capacity was reduced the 1,579. By 1936 it was the U.S. Theatre once again and the seating capacity had been reduced to 950. The U.S. Theatre was listed as (Closed) in 1937.
It had reopened as the Decatur Theatre by 1938 and the seating capacity was still 950. This theatre closed by 1950 and has been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater