Garden of Allah Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
This theatre—located in the North portion of Downtown San Jose and facing onto St. James Park—was housed in the former First Church of Christ, Scientist which had been built circa 1902 from a design by noted architect Willis Polk. The building features seven steps leading up to a pedimented portico with four Ionic columns. Above and behind is a dome. The plan of the church building is in the shape of an Eastern cross. Three doors lead from the portico into a small foyer. Just beyond is the auditorium/sanctuary, which features a balcony.
In the early 1950s, the Christian Science congregation moved out of the building in favor of a new and slightly larger Colonial-Moderne building just outside Downtown along the Alameda thoroughfare (not far from the Towne Theatre). At some point shortly thereafter, the old church became the Garden of Allah movie theatre. The interior was only changed a little, with the cathedral glass leaded windows being covered over, the auditorium walls being sprayed with acoustical texture, and a screen being placed in front of the choir loft and organ, which was left in place. The foyer was painted in the chalky pink color then so in favor for theatre decorating.
If anyone knows more about this building’s use as a movie theatre, please contact us!
After the movies left, San Jose Children’s Musical Theatre used it as a live facility. In the intervening years, it has stood vacant, just barely escaping demolition several times. Today it is officially a landmark, and it is scheduled to be retained and restored as part of a development which will occupy much of the entire block.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater