Loew's Sheridan Theatre
200-202 W. 12th Street,
8 people favorited this theater
This 2,342-seat theatre was located at Seventh Avenue and W. 12th Street, in the western portion of New York’s famed Greenwich Village. It was opened in 1921, and was taken over by Loew’s in December 1926.
After years of light attendance, the balcony was closed and soon, the theater itself was shuttered in 1969. That same year, St. Vincent’s Hospital, located across Seventh Avenue from the Sheridan, purchased the theater’s triangular lot, with the intention of building a nurses residence. The hospital demolished the theater soon after, but the land wound up being used as a community garden.
Today, nothing remains of this theater. The lot is still in use by St. Vincent’s, but simply as a receiving station for various supplies. Yet another Loew’s palace that is but a ghost of its former self.
Although the theater is gone, it was immortalized by Edward Hopper in his 1937 painting, The Sheridan Theater.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater