323 6th Avenue,
31 people favorited this theater
Once a single screen theatre which opened by 1938, the 550-seat Waverly Theatre was subsequently twinned, with the closing and and conversion of the balcony into a second, smaller auditorium in the mid-1980’s. It was a funky little two-screen house which was the launching pad of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” as a midnight cult hit in New Yew York.
Before it closed in late-2001, the Waverly Twin featured mostly films that double-run from the glossy and much more charmless United Artists Union Square Stadium 14 at Broadway and W. 13th Street. The Waverly Twin was also known for showing the occasional low-budget indie or art flick, and hold-overs whose runs had expired at other Greenwich Village theaters.
In June 2005, the Waverly Twin reopened as the three-screen IFC Center screening independent, foreign, documentary, and classic films. On December 4, 2009, two additional screens were opened, for a total of five screens.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater