38025 Vine Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Vine Theatre was an unremarkable, regular small town/neighborhood theatre, somewhat larger than most, with 1,200-1,300 seats on one level. Murals on the interior were the work of Hans Teichert. For many years, beginning in the early-1950’s, it functioned as something of a second run house — paired with the Berea Theatre, Berea, Ohio. Both theatres were owned by Modern Theatres, Cleveland, Ohio, and they ran the same schedule of feature movies, week in and week out.
When first runs were completed at the downtown theatres in Cleveland, the Vine Theatre and Berea Theatre would pick those movies up on an exclusive, “next in line” basis. This worked well, since the theatres were far apart geographically, (the Vine Theatre in Willoughby, east of Cleveland; the Berea Theatre in Berea, Ohio, west of Cleveland).
The Vine Theatre closed permanently in the mid-1960s, according to several local residents of Willoughby. Today, the building is occupied by a Jehovah’s Witnesses hall.
In the 1950’s, the Vine Theatre was managed by John Newkirk.
An interesting sidelight: The Vine Theatre was a virtual twin to the Ezella Theatre, 7011 Superior Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater