204 E. Fourth Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
The State Theater opened in 1949 and was first operated by Evergreen Theaters.
Constucted with stadium seating for 1000 patrons, the former single screen theater was triplexed in 1977, under Tom Moyer Luxury Theaters.
In 1983, the State became a second run theater and later a dollar house before it closed in the late 1990’s.
In the spring of 1998, Harlequin Productions, a 501c (3) non-profit semi-professional theater company, purchased the building to be used for live theater, and began a $1.3 million dollar remodeling project.
The remodel created a level, semi-thrust sprung-floor stage with 220 seats set in a seven row amphitheater arrangement. The furthest seat is 40 feet from the stage. A system of catwalks over the stage and audience provides lighting positions of 23' to 27' above the stage floor. Located on an open Tech Deck at the back of the house are an audio board and fully equipped lighting system, which allows for a variety of lighting options as well as a quality sound system with an emphasis on playback. An electrical isolated ground system is in place at four locations: in the first house row, the back aisle of the house, backstage and on the Tech Deck. A system of 6" conduit runs under the audience and stage floor to assist with cabling needs. The stage is accessible by a 9' x 10' roll-up door with a 36" loading dock.
In 2003, further enhancements changed the audience seating area to 212 and added both costume and property storage areas to what was once the two additional movie auditoriums. While there is limited backstage space, there is a fully accessible dressing room and bathroom for artist use. Future plans (2005-2008) call for larger dressing rooms, 80 – 100 additional audience seats, upgraded audio equipment and acoustical enhancement.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater