1700 Main Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Built in 1929 by Famous Players-Lasky Corporation (later Paramount Pictures Inc.), at a cost of over $1 million, the Paramount Theatrewas the most ornate theatre in Western Massachusetts in its glory days as a picture palace. The Paramount Theatre was opened September 29, 1929 with Nancy Carroll in “Dance of Life”. It was equipped with a Wurltzer theatre pipe organ.
It remained a movie theatre until the 1960’s when it began to find sporadic use as a mixed center for movies, concerts and live performances. The theatre was also once run by Western Massachusetts Theatres which at one time owned almost all of the single screen palaces in the area including the Rivoli Theatre, Calvin Theatre, and others.
It was not until 1999 that the theatre had a stable operator again, when it was purchased, restored, and converted into a lavish night club and performace space. The main floors seats were removed, but the 1,100 balcony seats were retained and restored. The theatre underwent a $1.3 million makeover and was reopened as the Hippodrome Theatre. The original organ is due to be restored in the future and the marquee was also been changed to reflect the new name.
The Hippodrome Theatre, after years of sitting alone as Springfield continued to wither, is back. In 2009, it was renamed Paramount Theatre and is under renovation. It reopened April 7, 2010 after renovations and the installation of a new sprinkler system. Sadly it has hardly been used since 2011.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater