584 Gramatan Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
The Parkway Theater in Fleetwood, Mount Vernon, New York and overlooking the Croos County Parkway was remodeled as an art house in 1951 by the pioneer exhibitor, Nathan Steinberg of Greenwich, CT.
The architect was also a pioneer, John J. McNamara who apprenticed with the great Thomas Lamb. The design was California redwood modern and roman brick interior and exterior with flagstone and marble trim, glass doors, posh textured green-leaf carpeting and comfortable rocking chair seating. Demi-tasse coffee was served by aproned matrons in the downstairs flagstone floored, redwood panneled, back-lit, glass-walled lounge.There was also one wall of roman brick with a modern fireplace accented by recessed ceiling lighting. Original modern paintings were exhibited in that space.
The Parkway Theater with mid-Westchester location and design played sophisticated films.
In 1975 the Parkway Theater was converted to one of the first non-profit educational Classic Cinema Centers. It was equipped with a huge intergrated sound system and a seperate downstairs venue for videoart and 16mm cinema. Live jazz concerts were staged, and school programs were also established.
Unfortunately, in 1975 the concept was a bit avant-garde for the suburbs and didn’t receive enough support. The opportunity was lost, and today the space is used as a funeral parlor.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater