213 W. Sheridan Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Architects: John Adolph Emil Eberson, George H. Johnston, George Hancock Kennerly, Oliver William Steigemeyer
Firms: Kennerly & Steigemeyer, Parr & Aderhold
Previous Names: Overholser Opera House, Overholser Theatre, Orpheum Theatre, Warner's Cinerama Theatre
News About This Theater
- Nov 11, 2008 — Remembering Cinerama (Part X: Oklahoma City)
Originally opened as the Overholser Opera House it was designed by architect George H. Johnston, assisted by John Eberson. Movies were being screened in the Overholser Theatre by 1914. Alterations were carried out by architectural firm Kennerley & Steigemeyer in 1920 and it reopened as the Orpheum Theatre on January 26, 1921 with a production of “The Mikado”. The seating capacity was 2,200. Later renamed the Warner Theatre it was remodeled in 1944 to the plans of architectural firm Parr & Aderhold. It later became a Cinerama theatre that featured a 60 by 24 foot screen. It was demolished in 1964.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 39 comments)
1930’s Warner pic added to photo section.
Pic addition: Grand Ave street view looking east..Trolly Cars and Orpheum Theater (later Warner) Oklahoma City.
Pic of Warner’s Mid 1950’s Install of Cinerama Equipment added to Photo Section
Two Article’s added to Photo Section re: Warner & Cinerama.
Pic of Newsboy with Overholser Bill Board nearby added to Photo Section.
Warner Theater in 1945 was the largest seating capacity house in Oklahoma City with 1950 seats per Film Daily Yearbook.
February 26th, 1937 grand opening ad in photo section.
The opening as the Orpheum took place on February 3, 1921. This is an article from the March 1, 1921, issue of The Associated First National Franchise, the house organ of First National Pictures:The May 8, 1920, issue of The American Contractor said that plans for the rebuilding of the Overholser Opera House in Oklahoma City had been prepared by the St. Louis firm of Kennerly & Steigemeyer. George Hancock Kennerly and Oliver William Steigemeyer were in partnership from 1913 to 1933.
Original architect was George H. Johnston. John Eberson was learning the ropes with him at the time.
27 Jan 1903, Tue The Rock Island Argus (Rock Island, Illinois) Newspapers.com
Orpheum theatre opened on January 26th, 1921. Ad posted.