15 N. Robinson Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Henry Overholser chose the twenty-three story high Colcord Bulding as the location for his roof theatre because it was located right next door to his opera house. The Colcord Airdome was the highest, classiest, and coolest theatre in Oklahoma City, decorated in flower covered lattice-work, potted palms, festive lanterns, and a gracefull stage.
Everything was designed to put patrons in a party mood. A fine nine piece orchestra and the Colcord Sextet, who sang songs requested by audience members, were the main drawing card, but headline vaudeville acts were also included on the entertainment bill, along with first run motion pictures to top off the show. After the movie ended everyone stayed for rooftop dancing.
Even though the Colcord Airdome had a steep admission charge it sold out nightly. The Colcord Airdome was open every summer from 1913 through 1919. It seems mechanical air conditioning put an end to the popularity of airdome theatres. Remnants of this former rooftop theatre can still be seen atop the Colcord Building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater