Centre & Main Streets,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Construction for the Refowich began in 1912 and the theater opened for the first time in February 1914. The theater was located at the intersection of Centre and Main Streets and had a total of 650 seats. A heavy winter storm hit the area during the same week as the grand opening and brought snowdrifts that reached fifteen feet. This adversely affected business during the first weeks and management was forced to reduce prices to 5 cents for all admissions!
The theater offered both vaudeville and movie presentations. Along with the lobby, the building contained several storefronts on the first floor and offices on the second floor. A popular ice cream parlor called Candyland was located in one of the first floor storefronts for many years. Stage shows were discontinued in 1930 but local groups occasionally used the stage for presentations. The theater closed for good in the early 1970’s. In the late 1970’s, the building interior was totally gutted and today houses senior citizen apartments.
Any additional information on this theater would be welcome.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater