Rua das Portas de Santo Antao 109 - 115,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened in December 1913 as a live theatre it began showing films from 1914 and became a full time cinema from 1928.
Designed by architect Ventura Terra, it has an interesting facade of three coupled windows beneath a large relieving arch which is surmounted by the name of the theatre in stonework and an attic storey with roundel windows. Plaques on the wall either side of the arched entrance have the words ‘Musica’ and ‘Comedia’.
Inside there is a large lobby which is decorated like an entrance to a stately mansion. The auditorium has the look of a small opera house with seating on the main orchestra floor and three levels of horse-shoe shaped balconies with stage boxes. The seating capacity was originally for 900 when it was operating as a cinema and it was operated in conjunction to the Olimpia Cinema which it adjoins at the rear.
Since closing as a cinema it has gone back to live performances usually of the cabaret, concerts and small musical productions type.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater