1924 Charles Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Granada Theatre opened on Saturday, April 7, 1928 with “The Life of Riley” starring Charlie Riley and George Sidney. The initial chain was the S & M Amusement Company. There was a Kilgen Wonder Organ, now removed but still existant. The locally-famous architect J. Mandor Matson, who also designed the Racine City Hall and a number of Racine churches (including St. Edwards) and schools (including Horlick High and Roosevelt). There is an innovative “crying room” and an owners' private box in the upper level.
By the 1950’s the Granada Theatre was managed by M. J. Krofta Theatres and was operating on weekend-only schedules, and it was closed on March 5, 1961. The owners sold to the Peter Beck Company which used it for storage and office space. More recently an auto dealer used the auditorium for storage. But the theatre remains largely intact and complete, even with a leveled floor.
In 2005 an inspired investor purchased the Granada Theatre for $150,000 and planned a correct restoration but with adaptive reuse in mind. This never materialised and the theatre is still used for storage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater