Odeon South Woodford
58 High Road,
3 people favorited this theater
Opened as the Majestic Theatre, the last to be built of a small independent chain of five Majestic Theatres built in the outer London suburbs and the South East of England.
It opened on 5th November 1934 with Claudette Colbert starring in “Cleopatra” and the opening was presided over by Winston Churchill who at that time was the local Member of Parliament.
The architect was S.B. Pritlove who designed a pleasing Art Deco style suburban cinema which seated 1,724 in stalls and circle levels. It was equipped with a Compton theatre organ and a retaurant/ballroom.
The Majestic Theatre was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) from 5th August 1935 and they continued to run it for many years. The Majestic Cinema was closed to be tripled on 4th November 1972 and re-opened on 5th February 1973 as ABC 1-2-3 with seating for 592, 201 and 133.
In 1986 it was re-named Cannon and since then further screens have been added in unused spaces such as the former ballroom. It now operates as a seven-screen Odeon Cinema (sometimes advertised as the Odeon, South Woodford). Seating capacities in 2008 are given as; 207, 158, 111, 153, 154, 92 and 144
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater