Odeon Whalebone Lane
8-12 Whalebone Lane South,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened as the Mayfair Cinema on 9th December 1933 it was built for and operated initially by the independent D.J. James Circuit.
Seating was provided in stalls and circle and there were five boxes. It had a cafe, full stage facilities with five dressing rooms and an unusual feature for a British cinema, was the open air swimming pool and terraces at the rear of the building.
In April 1936 it was taken over by another independent circuit Eastern Cinemas who in turn were taken over by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres circuit in 1943. It was re-named Odeon Chadwell Heath from 31st December 1945 and continued in later years as the Odeon Whalebone Lane (located on the borders of Dagenham/Chadwell Heath) until it closed on 12th February 1972 screening Richard Roundtree in “Shaft” and Rod Taylor in “The Mercenaries”.
The building was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Hall and remained in this use for many years, but it has since closed and was demolished, a supermarket and offices were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater