Odeon Muswell Hill
Fortis Green Road,
7 people favorited this theater
The Odeon Theatre was one of the original cinemas in the Oscar Deutsch owned Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain. It opened on 9th September 1936 with the British comedy film “Educated Evans” starring Max Miller. Seating was originally provided for 1,827, with 1,217 in the stalls and 610 in the circle.
Located on a corner site, the Odeon’s rather small facade is covered with white faience tiles in the central section, with two bays either side that are covered in black faience tiles. On either side are a parade of shops on the ground floor with flats above, which hide the bulk of the auditorium section of the building. There is a small car park at the rear.
Inside the building, the decorative Art Deco styling is considered a prime example of 1930’s cinema styling and even created a style to itself, thanks due in this case to architect George Coles, it became known as the ‘Odeon style’.
Troughs of concealed lighting illuminate the auditorium and ribs of plaster stretched from the projection box at the rear of the circle, down the centre of the ceiling to the proscenium arch, forming a stylised strip of film, which also contains lighting.
The Odeon was tripled from 26th May 1974, creating a 436 seat screen in the former circle which uses the original projection box and proscenium opening, and two screens under the circle in the rear stalls area with seating for 171 and 169. The front stalls area is un-used.
The Odeon Muswell Hill was given Listed Grade II status from 6th March 1984 and has since been raised to a Grade II* Listed building. It remains open and is a popular cinema serving the local community of this North London suburb, despite opposition from nearby multiplexes in Wood Green.
In April 2015 it was announced that the Everyman Cinemas chain were purchasing four Odeon’s: Muswell Hill, Gerrards Cross, Barnet and Esher.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater