1705 Poplar Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
Opened as the 900-seat Ritz Theatre in 1927, it was part of the Bijou circuit. The oldest known photograph of the Ritz Theatre was published in 1930. The theatre had a canopy, but no marquee.
The marquee seen in later photographs was the second display. Around 1964, it was acquired by the Art Theatre Guild group, and renamed Guild Theatre. This marquee survived through the Guild Theatre and later Movie House on Poplar days. It was removed due to structural problems when the theatre became the Evergreen Movie Theatre, and was replaced with a flat signboard.
When Circuit Playhouse bought the building the flat signboard was removed and a cloth canopy sign was added. This same sign now reads ‘Evergreen’. The theatre is owned by Circuit Playhouse Inc., and is used as part of the theatre school and is available for rentals. Seating is now around 100 and the building is in good shape and in regular use, retaining many of its architectural features, inside and out.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater