25 Second Avenue, SE,
1 person favorited this theater
This theatre, built in 1928 by Grand Theatre Company entrepreneur Charlie Powell, was designed by Valdosta, GA architect Lloyd Greer.
The 48 by 128 foot house featured a fully equipped stage, orchestra pit, and organ chambers. Although many silent era movies were shown here, wisely, Powell saw the coming of sound films and did not purchase an organ; however, until the advent of sound films at the Moultrie Theatre, music was supplied by a Steinway grand piano, which later went to the private residence of Lamar Demott of Moultrie.
The theatre was designed in the Adam style with simple but elegant ornamentation. On the exterior, quioning was used on the center section of the facade, capped with a broken pediment and limestone urns. A large Palladian style window was featured on the third story. In the 1950’s, air conditioning was added to the theatre in a very unsympathetic installation of conduits running down both sides of the theatre’s walls.
A small effort to save the theatre as a performing arts center was mounted in Moultrie after the theatre closed, but ultimately, it was demolished for a city parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater