160 South Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Grand Theatre was the first major venture for Moultrie, GA. showman, Charlie Powell. Constructed on Main Street in the mid-1920’s, the theatre enjoyed great popularity in the silent era and on into the sound era when it became a B-movie outlet after the much larger and lavish Moultrie Theatre was built by Powell.
The theatre was of a straight-forward design with a small orchestra pit and stage. The movie screen was originally secured to the back wall of the stage—this wall being slanted to correct early keystoning problems. The theatre was entered through an open-air loggia originally. Later, a marquee was added and a vertical sign that spelled “Theatre”. Interior decoration included pilasters with Mission-inspired adornments under each capital, applied panel mouldings on the sides and balcony of the auditorium and suspended chain-hung globes of art glass.
The theatre closed in the early part of World War II and became the location of Waite’s News Stand. It was later used as a frame shop and supply warehouse for Rhoden’s stationers, located in the building adjacent to the Grand Theatre. Present owner, Billy Fallin, Moultrie lawyer and downtown developer restored the building and it is the location of a retail store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater