215 E. 12th Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The Pantages Theater was a downtown landmark, largely in part to its 180-foot high tower topped by a revolving electrical sign blazoning the theater’s name. As part of the vaudeville circuit established by Alexander Pantages, the theater catered to a mass entertainment audience rather than the traditional cultured theatergoer.
Three shows were held each weekday, four on Saturdays, and five each Sunday. This arrangement brought success to the theater’s owners from the opening night on August 27, 1921 to the beginning of the Great Depression. By 1931, the theater, like many around the country, closed for three years.
New owners eventually took over and reopened the Pantages Theater as the Tower Theater in 1934. Adding motion pictures to the program, the theater survived. In the 1940’s, the Tower Theater was operated by the Fox Theatres chain. Stage shows also continued until 1947 — one of the last vaudeville houses in the country when it switched to movies-only
By the late-1950’s, Kansas citizans became enamored with television and their patronage of downtown movie theaters like the Tower Theater diminished dramatically. Other priorities emerged for the land upon which the Tower Theater stood and a parking lot replaced the building when it was torn down in 1960.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater