1120-24 McGee Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Empress Theatre, at the northwest corner of Twelfth Street and McGee Street, with its handsome front and marquee on McGee Street, was built by the Sullivan and Considine Vaudeville circuit. At the time it was considered one of the most modern vaudeville houses in America.
The $180,000 fireproof building of concrete, steel, marble and tile opened in May, 1910, with three vaudeville and motion picture shows daily, 2:30. 7:30, and 9:30 o'clock.
Controversy over a movie called “Ecstasy” threatened to close the theater for time, but the film played on in spite of the critics. With the decline of vaudeville, the theater became a burlesque house. It closed in the fall of 1936 after a proposed 40-week burlesque season lasted only 12 weeks. The building was then converted for use by stores.
The entire structure was razed in 1956 to make way for an eight-level parking grarage for the Traders National Bank. The basement of the old building was reinforced and is used for bank storage purposes.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater