Fugazy Theatre

150 West Houston Street,
New York, NY 10012

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Auditorium viewed from stage

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The three-story Fugazy Theatre opened in early-1923 at the northwest corner of West Houston and MacDougal Streets. Owned by boxing promoter Humbert Fugazy and designed by the firm of Reilly & Hall, the theatre was built by the O'Day Construction Company at a cost of approximately $275,000.

Presenting moving pictures and vaudeville, the 1,687 seat theatre (1,067 orchestra, 590 balcony, 30 proscenium boxes) was one of Greenwich Village’s most popular but led a short life nevertheless. It closed in 1929, acquired by the city for subway construction. In 1934 the Department of Parks acquired permission to utilize the site, which is now home to the William F. Passannante Ballfield.

Contributed by Damien Farley

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 7, 2006 at 12:40 pm

This 1923 illustration shows that the Fugazy had a stadium section at the rear of the orchestra floor, as well as a conventional balcony:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/fugazy1923.jpg

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 8, 2006 at 1:47 pm

Judging from the 1923 image, the projection booth was at the rear of the ground floor, rather than at the back of the balcony.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 10, 2006 at 12:32 pm

An architectural drawing of the theatre’s exterior can be found on page 114 of the May 7th, 1922 issue of The New York Times. The theatre was apparently originally intended to be called the Macdougal. In the drawing, that name appears on a corner vertical sign, with “MACDOUGAL” all in capital letters.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 10, 2006 at 3:22 pm

This is the 1922 drawing that appeared in the NYT. According to the article attached, the theatre was five stories high and cost $275,000 to build:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/macdougal.jpg

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Status needs to be changed from “Closed” to “Demolished.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater