139 E. Solomon Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Reflecting a bit of classical Rome on East Solomon Street in Griffin, GA, the Imperial Theatre was constructed in the summer of 1926.
The theatre was graced with a square proscenium bearing an onlooking divinity at its center, and the auditorium featured pilasters and damask hangings on its side walls.
The Imperial Theatre boasted a Robert Morton theatre organ, (two manuals, four ranks, blower number 19899). The Morton’s oak console was situated to the left side of the stage, its pipework installed in chambers on either side of the proscenium. According to Charles Walker, this organ was originally shipped and installed in the Ritz Theatre, Valdosta, GA. Management was unable to pay for the organ and it was then re-installed in the Imperial. If this is true, then the organ was Opus No. 2305, a Style 16 Special.
The Imperial’s exterior featured an elaborate upper facade of polychrome brick laid in a diagonal lattice pattern. At the center was a cast stone window surround extending from the second story to the third story of the building. At the far ends of the slighly pedimented top of the theatre front were stylized acanthus caps and a finial at the center. Only the facade remains today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater