31-33 Stoke Newington Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north london inner city district of Stoke Newington. Opened in January 1913 as the Electric Coliseum Cinema, seating was provided on stalls level only. It was always an independently operated cinema throughout its life and for many years was operated by Kingsland Pictures Ltd. who also ran the Plaza Cinema, Dalston.
The Coliseum Cinema closed on 5th February 1972 with the double bill programme;Michael Caine in “Too Late the Hero” and Lee Marvin in “Hell in the Pacific”. The building was closed up with all equipment remaining intact awaiting a new owner who never came along. It was broken into and vandals wrecked the building. Eventually it was sold and its fittings were stripped out.
In the 1980’s, work commenced to convert the building into a car salesroom, but finances dried up and it remained in a half finished limbo for several years. The name Coliseum still hung onto the front of the building, gradually loosing letters over years. Vandals destroyed the building by fire in December 1992 and the burnt out shell remained until it was finally demolished in 2001. The site was vacant for many years until 2012, when a block of flats with retail shops on the ground floor was built.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater