ABC Stoke Newington
11-15 Stoke Newington Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north London inner city district of Stoke Newington. Built for and operated by Associated British Cinemas(ABC), the Savoy Cinema was designed by their in-house architect William R. Glen in a splendid Art Deco style. Seating was in stalls and balcony levels and it was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/5Rank theatre organ which had been transferred from the Astoria Cinema, Cliftonville in Kent.
The Savoy Cinema opened on 26th October 1936 with Gary Cooper in “Mr. Deeds Goes to Town” and Madeleine Carroll in “The Case Against Mrs. Ames”.
It became the ABC from 1961 was closed on 12th March 1977 with James Coburn in “Cross of Iron”. The following day it re-opened as the Konak Cinema, taken over by Asians who screened Bollywood movies.
It was taken over by an Independent exhibitor from March 1982 and re-named Ace Cinema screening regular release films again. This did not last last long as the Ace Cinema finally closed on 16th February 1984 with Al Pacino in “Scarface”.
The stalls area was converted into a snooker hall with a false ceiling extended from the front of the balcony towards the proscenium. The balcony remained empty and unused. A fire was started by vandals in the balcony area which did considerable damage to the auditorium. By the summer of 1995, the foyer had been converted into two shop units with the removal of the twin staircase which led to the balcony. A Turkish community centre operates in the former balcony foyer using a former emergency exit stairwell to gain access and the stage has been converted into a restaurant. The snooker hall operated out of the rear stalls area until around 2014 when this space was converted into a function room named Epic.
A sad end to what had once been a fine building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater