27 Putney High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
First opened in 1907 as the Electric Pavilion, it was part of the small circuit operated by Israel Davis. In 1911, a Jones 2Manual organ was installed. In 1918 it was taken over by the independent Blue Halls Ltd. chain and was re-named Blue Hall Cinema in 1920.
It was taken over by Herbert A. Yapp in 1926 and was rebuilt to the plans of architect John Stanley Beard. It re-opened as the Putney Palace Theatre on 11th October 1926 with Reginald Denny in “What Happened to Jones” and attended by film star Betty Balfour. It was equipped with Compton 2Manual/5Ranks ‘Kinestra’ theatre organ, opened by organist George F. Somes (who was also the orchestra leader at the cinema). In 1928, it became part of the United Picture Theatres circuit (UPT), but in July 1930 UPT were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres. It was closed a couple of times during the war, re-opening on 28th January 1945.
From 22nd August 1955 it was re-named Gaumont and continued under the Rank Organisation management when it was re-named Odeon on 25th November 1962.
It closed on 11th December 1971 with Bruce Davison in “Willard” and Michael Latimer in “Man of Violence”. A deal was done with EMI who owned the adjacent ABC (former Regal) Cinema which closed on the same day. Both buildings were demolished and a new three-screen ABC cinema (currently Odeon) was built on the site, opening in September 1975.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater