25 Putney High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: William Riddell Glen
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Regal Cinema
Located in the southwest London district of Putney. Built and operated by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) it was designed in a typical ABC Art Deco style by their in-house architect William R. Glen.
The Regal Cinema opened on 8th November 1937 with Robert Montgomery in “Night Must Fall” and Don Ameche in “Fifty Roads to Town”. Seating was provided for 1,651 in the stalls and 889 in the balcony. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/6Ranks theatre organ, which had a Melotone attachment and an illuminated console. It was opened by organist Charles Smart.
The Regal Cinema was re-named ABC from 3rd September 1961 and it closed on 11th December 1971 with Rock Hudson in “Pretty Maids All in a Row” and Roman Polanski in “Dance of the Vampires”.
A deal had been done with EMI the owners of the ABC and the Rank Organisation who owned the Odeon (former Palace/Gaumont) located next door. The Odeon was purchased by EMI and it closed the same day as the ABC, both were demolished in 1972 and a new three-screen ABC (currently Odeon) cinema was built on the site which opened on 14th September 1975.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.