Turnpike Indoor/Outdoor Theatre
Route 18 and Tices Lane,
2 people favorited this theater
The Turnpike Drive-In was opened March 19, 1958 with Glenn Ford in “The Cowboy” and Ralph Meeker in “Battle Shock”. On October 20, 1963 a 1,000-seat indoor theatre was opened. Until 1968, the Turnpike was a combination drive-in, indoor theatre, with double features showing on a reverse schedule. The indoor theatre was split from drive-in in 1969 and opened with road show of “Hello Dolly”. The indoor theatre was twinned on March 3, 1978. Closed in 1983, and demolished for what is now a condo complex. The Turnpike Outdoor Theatre was closed on September 3, 1984 with Tom Hanks in “Bachelor Party” & Dan Monahan in “Porky’s”.
The theatre’s design was the same as the Plainfield/Edison Indoor/Outdoor on Oak Tree Road, in Edison.
This design was typical for UA in early-1960’s, as the Route 46 Totowa Theatre was of the same design.
The theatre showed the initial roadshows of Sensuround pictures “Rollercoaster” and “Midway” during the 1970’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater