211 Camden High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The building was originally a bakery and was converted into the Electric Theatre in 1909. By 1914 it had been re-named the Theatre DeLuxe and was re-named Britannia Picture Palace in 1919.
It was improved by architect Cecil Masey who gave the foyer and some other places within the building a mock Tudor look. It re-opened as the Plaza Cinema on 12th September 1937. Seating in the auditorium was on one floor.
It was taken over in 1938 by the Town Theatres chain who in turn were taken over by Odeon Theatres Ltd from 26th January 1942. Passed onto the Rank Organisation they leased it out to Panton Films in 1969 and it went from normal releases to art house films.
The final operators were Artificial Eye from 9th June 1977 and they improved the building with larger more spacious seating for 340 persons. It became known as the Camden Plaza and continued for many years as one of London’s most popular art house cinemas. Rent increases from the landord forced closure which came on 29th September 1994 with a re-run of the classic horror/drama “Peeping Tom” starring Carl Boehm.
The facade of the building was re-built and it was converted into a retail store in the former foyer, the auditorium remained unused. The only sign of this being a former cinema from the street is the terrazo mozaic floor in the entrance with the word ‘Plaza’. In recent years the auditorium has been gutted and is now an indoor market.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater