159 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Built for and operated by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd, the Odeon Theatre Wealdstone was located in what today is part of outer north west London, close to Harrow. It opened on 15th October 1934 with Jesse Matthews in “Evergreen”.
This was the fourth Odeon Theatre designed for the circuit by the architect Arthur Percival Starkey, who was locally based in Harrow. He was assisted by architect Fredrick Adkins and they created a rather long and low facade which was covered in cream faiance tiles and swept around the corner entrance. There was a short square tower feature which carried the Odeon name and inside this tower were the speaker chambers located behind the screen. There was a large cafe which was equipped with a grand piano for entertaining the diners.
Inside the auditorium, seating was provided on a semi-stadium plan (with no overhanging balcony). There were 880 seats in the stalls and 342 in the balcony. Decoration was in an Art Deco style with bands along the walls and ribs in the ceiling which carried indirect lighting.
This Odeon was one of only nine built for the Odeon Theatres chain that was equipped with an organ. In the case of Wealdstone it was a Compton 3Manual/5Ranks organ, the console was encased in an illuminated ‘jelly mould’ and was on a lift. It was opened by organist Henry Wingfield. The stage was 14 feet deep and there were two dressing rooms.
The Odeon Wealdstone led an un-eventful life and was closed on 4th March 1961 with Kieron Moore in “Dr. Blood’s Coffin” and Johnny Nash in “Take a Giant Step”. The building sat empty and unused for many years and was demolished in the early 1970’s. An office block named Marlborough House was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater