Bailey Theatre

5043 50 Street,
Camrose, AB T4V 1R3

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

| Street View

The Bailey Theatre was for years the only movie theatre in the Canadian city of Camrose, Alberta, but started to lose a lot of business towards the end of its life as it came under disrepair. The final killing stroke was when a five screen multiplex opened up in the mall in the mid-1990’s. It originally opened as the David Theatre in 1910 as a vaudeville theatre, which was later turned into a movie theatre.

It closed in 1998, and since then there have been several attempts of restoration and reopening, but these have always failed due lack of financing and community support.

Contributed by Tristin Deveau

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 16, 2006 at 3:55 pm

I found two different seat counts for this theater. One is 430 and the other is 482 seats. This article claims that a restored Bailey Theatre would have 430 seats.

From a CBC report:

GOOD-BYE BAILEY

“The credits rolled. The red curtains closed.. And the doors at the Old Bailey Theatre in Camrose, Alberta, were locked for the last time. The 90-year-old theatre closed last week. It’s seen the film industry change from silent shorts, to talkies, to T-H-X. And lately, it’s seen the new state-of-the-art five-screen multiplex roll into town. The Bailey just couldn’t keep up. CBC reporter Terra Tailleur was in Camrose last week for the movie, "Almost Heroes,” the last showing at the Old Bailey".

ishamael
ishamael on January 23, 2007 at 9:28 am

It looks like there is a ray of hope for the Bailey…

Bright lights for ol' Bailey

KenRoe
KenRoe on January 23, 2007 at 11:04 am

Listed as the 450 seat Bailey’s Theatre in the 1941 & 1943 editions of Film Daily Yearbook.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 23, 2007 at 11:16 am

Address:

5043 50 St
Camrose, AB T4V 1R3
Canada

ishamael
ishamael on March 26, 2008 at 3:02 pm

The restoration project continues to build momentum…
http://baileytheatre.com/

Earlsand
Earlsand on April 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Some corrections to the information on the Bailey Theatre…
It opened on February 23, 1910 as the David Theatre, built by Camille David. It was the only movie theatre in Camrose until the Kam Theatre opened in 1948. The Kam is now a night club.
Stan Bailey bought the David Theatre in 1916, but the name remained the David Theatre until major renovations took place in about 1920 and the name changed to the Bailey Theatre.
In late 2007 the Bailey Theatre Society was revived after a former Camrose resident pledged $2.5-million towards the restoration. Restoration started in the fall of 2008.
When completed the Bailey Theatre will seat 401 people. With loose seating on the flat floor of the auditorium the theatre will also be used for dinner theatre, and like in its past, dances.
To follow the progress go to www.BaileyTheatre.com

DavidDymond
DavidDymond on February 17, 2013 at 10:12 pm

The Kam in Camrose was affiliated with Famous Players Canadian Corporation in the mid-sixties through Len Purnell and Sons Limited, Famous Players partners in Red Deer, Lacombe, etc.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater