Loew's 7th Avenue Theatre
2081 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Previous Names: Harlem Casino
In 1910, future movie mogul Marcus Loew, who then resided in the area, acquired the Harlem Casino and converted it into a fully-equipped theatre for vaudeville and photoplays. All that remained of the old Casino were the exterior walls and the roof. S.S. Sugar was the supervising architect, with H.E. Stoner as interior decorator. The success of Loew’s 7th Avenue Theatre helped to finance the building of the larger and more sumptuous Loew’s Victoria Theatre, which opened nearby on W. 125th Street in 1917. But Loew’s 7th Avenue Theatre continued operating until around 1934, when it fell victim to the Depression.
Like many of the Harlem theatres, it eventually became an evangelical church. In 1966-67, it was ultra-modernized both inside and out by architect Costas Machlouzarides. As the Greater Refuge Temple of Christ, it is world-famous for its choir, and frequently visited on organized tours of Harlem, where that portion of 7th Avenue is now also known as Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Boulevard.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.