Rex Theatre

219 W. 6th Street,
Okmulgee, OK 74447

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Rex Theatre  219 West Sixth Street, Okmulgee, OK...1936.

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Cozy Theatre was built inside former retail space. It was a small theatre, probably furnished by a local interior decorator who did a nice job on limited funds. It was opened December 14, 1914. A large concession stand dominated a cramped, narrow lobby.

The auditorium, fashioned to resemble a tent with canvas wall panels and a flax covered ceiling, was of the “reverse” floor plan, meaning the projection booth was situated in the rear of the auditorim, the screen backed up to the lobby wall, and seats faced entrance doors.

Around 1937 it was renamed Rex Theatre. It was listed as (Closed) in 1941-1943) and possibly never reopened.

The space became a jewelry store until the building burned down in the mid-1990’s.

Contributed by Ben Miller

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

raybradley
raybradley on December 4, 2009 at 11:26 am

Oklahoma State Historical Society has vintage photos of this cinema when it was known as Rex. To see images type in name ‘Rex Theatre’ on below site -
View link

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 5, 2009 at 12:10 am

A January 12, 1946, Boxoffice article about the death of Tulsa exhibitor John Edward Feeney says “In 1914 he bought the Cozy Theatre at Okmulgee….” Was this an entirely different Cozy Theatre, or did it become the Rex and then later go back to the name Cozy? The building in the Historical Society photo certainly looks as though it would have been built before 1914, and that marquee could easily have dated from the early 20th century.

seymourcox
seymourcox on July 18, 2010 at 1:03 pm

This site has clear vintage interior/exterior shots of the old Cozy Theater when it was known as the Rex Theatre.
http://www.roadsideoklahoma.com/node/579

Lucky
Lucky on May 25, 2016 at 9:08 am

The book “Okmulgee County History” (p178) states that the Cozy Theatre opened December 14, 1914, with a Mary Pickford film entitled “Sorrows of the Unfatihful”. This building burned down January 18, 1980.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater