233 Derby Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Savoy Cinema opened on 7th November 1935 with Dick Powell in “Flirtation Waltz” plus Full Supporting Programme. It was designed in an Art Deco Style by architect Reginald William Gaze Cooper (his first design project) and had a seating capacity of 1,242 in stalls and circle levels. The facade was originally clad in a new material called ‘Vitrolite’ which was in green with black vertical bands. A car park and garage were provided for the use of cinema patrons.
At some period of time, the frontage of the cinema was ’re-done' when the Vitrolite cladding was removed and in 1972 the cinema was tripled. There were 392 seats in the former circle and two screens under the circle which seated 108 and 163. They re-opened on 23rd July 1972 screening “Gone With The Wind”, “Love Story”, and “Kelly’s Heroes”.
Today the seating is for 386, 128 and 168 with an additional screen added that seats 60 persons.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater