United Artists State Theatre 4
426 Alvarado Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Strand Theatre, Rio Theatre, Regency Theatre
Small 1917 theatre with balcony, this old movie house has been remodeled many times since 1917. It is basically now a semi-modern cinema. The exterior facade above the theatre is largely intact.
The tiny stage still exists as does the platform that held the swell box of the 2 manual 4 rank Wurlitzer piano console organ. That organ came from the Ackerman and Harris Theatre in Stockton, and moved to the Strand Theatre in 1926 when the Strand was remodeled by the then operators T & D Jr. Enterprises.
In the early-1940’s, the Strand Theatre became the Rio Theatre and still later the Regency Theatre. The State IV name was applied to the Regency Theatre as an adjunct to the 3-screens across Alvarado Street at the UA State Theatre.
In 2005, it was screening East Indian ‘Bollywood’ films, but was closed by early-2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.