171-173 Penarth Road, Grangetown,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built in 1913 occupying the site of two shops in a very simple style, but with a small balcony, the Ninian served the densely populated Grangetown area. In the late 1940’s refurbishment was undertaken but disaster struck when a fire broke out in the roof during repairs, and the resulting fire and water damage meant closure for exactly twelve months and considerable rebuilding and re-roofing.
The name “Palace” sometimes appeared in licensing records but was not an appropriate description by any means. After closure in the early 1970’s, it became a bingo club in January 1972, then the building served as furniture store when it was possible to see inside without seating, screen, etc., but otherwise untouched, as it had been from 1950.
Eventually the building was sold, though plans for a J.D. Wetherspoon pub did not proceed and internal reconstruction as a post office and grocery store/off licence was undertaken. Externally much of the building survives as reconstructed in 1950.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater