71 The Kingsway,
1 person favorited this theater
Editions of Kine Yearbook 1939 – 1941 list an Odeon Theatre under contruction by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. It was located on High Street and was designed by Harry Weedon with a seating capacity of 2,414 seats. However in reality with the war progressing, nothing ever came of this scheme, and it was not proceeded with. Swansea had to wait almost 30 years before the town got an Odeon……..
The Odeon was a new modern cinema that was built by the Rank Organisation on the site of the Plaza Cinema. It opened on 17th May 1967 with Julie Andrews in “The Sound of Music”. It was designed by the architectural firm of Cassidy, Farrington & Dennys in a typical 1960’s style with clean modern lines. The seating capacity for this single screen cinema was 1,378. It was located above a new supermarket and other retail shop units.
Tripled from 17th May 1982 the three screens now had seating for 708 in the former front section and 242 and 172 in the former rear section. It was refurbished in 1995, but was closed on 14th December 1997.
The building was converted into use as bars and a nightclub; the three spaces are named Jumpin' Jacks, Time, and Envy with a total capacity of 4,000. It was closed around 2014 and the building was demolished in November 2016.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater