14 Talbot Road,
1 person favorited this theater
This very imposing cinema building on Talbot Road opened at Easter 25th March 1940 and had 1,447 seats. It looks like a typical ‘Odeon’ circuit cinema, but it was always operated as an independent. It closed as a cinema with the film “Tootsie” in 1983 and was converted into a bingo club.
However this too had closed in July 1985. It was re-opened again as a cinema on 18th October 1985 with Walt Disney’s “Peter Pan”. By August 1988 it was converted into a three screen operation with seating capacities in the screens listed as 450, 165 and 120. The Plaza Cinema finally closed on 4th January 1999 with a screening of “Prince of Egypt”. The Apollo group had opened a new multiplex cinema in Port Talbot.
The Plaza Cinema has stood empty, unused and ‘For Sale’ since closing. By 2018 it is owned by the local council. It is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater