405 Kilburn High Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the northwest London district of Kilburn, on the busy Kilburn High Road, a few yards south of Kilburn Underground (tube) rail station. The Envoy Cinema opened in late-1937, its opening eclipsed by the opening on 20th December 1937 of the magnificent Gaumont State Theatre just along the road. While the Gaumont State was a movie palace with 4,004 seats, the Envoy Cinema was at first a news and cartoon cinema seating less than 400.
Decorated in an Art Deco style, the screen was at the front of the building behind the facade. Entrance was gained to the auditorium via a long corridor which ran alongside the right hand side of the auditorium (left side of the building when viewed from the street), and patrons then entered from the rear as in most normal cinemas. Exits were at each side of the screen and led onto the High Road. The floor only had a very gentle rake and seating was on one level.
The Envoy Cinema was taken over by the Classic Repertory Cinemas chain and was re-named Classic Cinema from 31st July 1955. It closed on 26th April 1964 with Walt Disney’s “Lady and the Tramp”.
The building lay empty and increasingly derelict for many years until it was demolished and the site re-developed for housing and restaurant use.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater