1 person favorited this theater
Opened on 17 June 1937 and designed by Charles Hartley, this was a dual purpose cinema and live theater with a seating capacity of 1,750.
There was a spacious vestible with a wide staircase rising to the balcony foyer with entry to the balcony on the rear side and entry to the cafe at the front.
Inside the auditorium there was a Compton 3Manual/6Ranks theatre organ on a rising platform to the left of the stage. Above the procenium arch there was a large area treated with silver paint which changed colour courtesy of the Holophane Lighting control. There was a fully equipped large stage and orchestra pit.
It was owned and run by Mrs. Esther Harriet Burns who in 1964, at age 89, sold the Davenport to Tatton Cinemas who continued to run it with a mix of film and stage use.
Mrs. Burns contined to have an interest in the cinema until her death just short of 100 years old!
In 1972, the former cafe was converted into a luxury cinema seating 180.
During the early 1990’s, the entire Tatton circuit was sold to Apollo Theatres who maintained the policy of the Davenport until 1997 when it was sold to the neighbouring Stockport Grammar School. The Davenport Cinema was closed in March 1997 and demolished in August 1997 to provide a car park!
The Davenport Cinema was a location for the 1979 John Schlesinger film “Yanks” starring Richard Gere, when it can be seen in a scene featuring Ronald Curtis playing the Compton theatre organ in an audience sing-a-long.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater